Thursday, May 22, 2008

Keep Looking

These are times I'm brought back to the Shaider era... Remember "Time space warp"? That's how I refer to moments when things go missing when they're not supposed to. There are no simple explanations to these things in life, except perhaps the "existence" of black holes.

Case No. 1. The case of the missing file. There's this particular file I was working on, but a day or two after, I couldn't locate it in my files. I kept looking and looking and then decided to just get the copy I sent via email to a colleague. I couldn't figure out where the file went.

Case No. 2. The case of the missing report. Where I used to work, we had several regular monthly/quarterly/annual reports that we prepare for the GMs. There was this time when there was a report that went completely missing. I knew I had it printed already and submitted it to my immediate superior. My superior was sure she endorsed it already. It still had to be signed by the big boss. Weeks after, after we almost completely forgot about it, we realize we haven't released it yet, but couldn't completely figure out where it went. Thus, we had to print it again, and have it endorsed and signed again.

Case No. 3. The case of the missing area. When doing actual computations, its not uncommon to miss by a few measures, depending on the one who's measuring or computing, and depending on the method. The only problem is when you end up missing the mark by a few hundred. We were validating the size of the different areas of the building for our project, but we were completely confused because there was a few hundred square meters missing from the computation. We spent almost an entire day of trying to figure out where the missing area was.

There are still several stories like this I know about, but I can't distinctly remember. So, how did these things end? You're supposed to keep looking until you find it, or at least until you realize there really is nothing to look for.

Case No. 1 Resolution. The file was indeed saved in the computer, just in a different drive/folder.

Case No. 2 Resolution. The report got stuck with the big boss... I don't know how and why. It just reappeared a week or two after we prepared a different set of report for release already. In other words, the initial report was stuck for signature by the big boss for more than a month.

Case No. 3 Resolution. After careful scrutiny, and not finding the few hundred square meters that was missing, we re-discovered the discrepancy between two versions of area measurements that were being used. The area that was missing did not exist, in theory. But it's something we still need to align sometime soon.



By definition a black hole is a region where matter collapses to infinite density, and where, as a result, the curvature of spacetime is extreme. Moreover, the intense gravitational field of the black hole prevents any light or other electromagnetic radiation from escaping. But where lies the "point of no return" at which any matter or energy is doomed to disappear from the visible universe?

At the center of a black hole lies the singularity, where matter is crushed to infinite density, the pull of gravity is infinitely strong, and spacetime has infinite curvature. Here it's no longer meaningful to speak of space and time, much less spacetime. Jumbled up at the singularity, space and time cease to exist as we know them.

http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Cyberia/NumRel/BlackHoleAnat.html


I'm not making any point, am I? Maybe the only point I am making is that perhaps only a blackhole can explain the complete and utter disappearance of anything (matter, space, light, or even time), considering that it did exist at one point. If the thing that is missing did not exist at all, then there is no point in looking

Otherwise, if it did exist, and there are no black holes anywhere nearby, it's probably best to just keep looking.

2 comments:

philos said...

Cool hehe... in my experience, sometimes I saved it using a different file name hehe

Abii said...

yah, sometimes that happens, you save it using a different filename or under a different folder. :p