Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Bad Peanuts

If you were a city bus rider, you'd surely know about the peanut peddlers who jump aboard carrying their goods. They deliberately open their tubs to let the aroma of the roasted peanuts linger in the airconditioned bus, while doing their "mani" chant... "mainit, malutong, bagong luto..."

There was this one evening on my way home, I was so hungry that I decided to buy me 10 pesos worth of their roasted peanuts. It wasn't a great experience though. I was able to go through only 1/3 of it, and didn't finish it because it really was just horrible. Rancid.

Well, thinking about it now, it really is questionable how these peddlers claim their peanuts to be. How in the world do they keep it warm the whole day? Those peanuts probably have been cooked days before... They are kept warm by some means, just to deceive the consumer that it's still freshly cooked. And since it has been cooked and re-cooked for quite some time, it really isn't crunchy anymore.

But still, how in the world do they keep it warm the whole day??? Still makes me wonder.

No comments: