Thursday, June 19, 2008

Peace or Extreme Joy

Look into a still body of water - a lake, a pond, or steady water in a pool. In this, there is a certain kind of calm, a relaxed state of being. It denotes a sense of peace.

Disturb this pool of water, and you will find yourself making waves. The greater the disturbance, the bigger the waves. The waves peak, creating highs in the water which it couldn't have reached if it was left alone. But with these peaks, troughs are also created. The troughs' depth is directly related to the height of the peaks. The higher the peak of the waves, the deeper its troughs. Happiness - Sadness. Extreme Joy - Extreme Sorrow.

Would you rather feel peace, or would you welcome extreme joy even if it meant that extreme sorrow would probably be not far behind?

It's honestly a difficult choice. Last year I encountered the biggest waves in my life... it probably was a tsunami already. I experienced the highest and the lowest points in my life ever. But looking back at it now, I probably won't trade them for anything. I felt more alive because of the rollercoaster ride of my life last year.

But being at peace feels also a different kind of good. For one, it's less likely that there would be great disappointments. The peace itself is its own reward.

I'm loving the peace in my life right now. But somehow I'm missing the intensity of last year.

No comments: